Thursday, September 14, 2006

Ordering from Knit Picks


Mock Crock Socks
I haven’t started these yet, but I downloaded the pattern by Susan Lawrence from Knit Picks and ordered some green Essential yarn. Now, I just realized that the pattern calls for Size 1 Dpns. Did I remember to order them? Did I plan on finding them in my stash? (Good Luck!) Organization is the Bane of my existence at this time.
Anyway, a young man I know has the “hot green” Crocks, and I thought a pair of green Mock Crock Socks would just be too cool! Now, the question is: will I finish them, and I guess it’s a second question: will I finish them while those Crocks still fit and are still in style, and before it snows?

2 comments:

Robyne said...

what does dpn mean?

I'm a knitter too but we dont use that terminology..

Did you know that there is a charity that gets people to use their left over wool to knit garter stitch little blankets for dogs in shelters? Great way to get rid of those bits...

BTW thanks for the advice about my blog name...I will have to work out how to change it and still keep all my links....oh my
Robyne
www.creativewritintravel.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

DPNs are Double Point Needles
And, I read about them long before I saw any for sale in a shop. When I finally did see some for sale, I realized that I had them all along in some hand-me-down stuff. They sometimes sell on eBay in Pairs because the seller has no idea what they are.
Usually 4 to 7" long, I think, with points on both ends of each. They're used in sets of 4 to 6, and are used to knit in the round instead of back and forth. Usually for small round things like socks, gloves, booties, small hats. I think the oldest ones were "knitting pins", almost wire like, that were used to knit fine stockings and lace gloves for the rich. Before industrial knitting, Young women (and old I guess) could often make a little extra income by knitting.
I've become addicted to circular needles that are basically DPNs with long flexible middles. The DPNs are often very slick, and I tend to drop the ones on the far side of the circle while I'm working on the near side.
Oh, and when you're writing, be careful with the knitting anologies. Knitters can be very defensive and judgemental. On the other hand; if you use knitting in your writing, you will attract a following just by virtue of mentioning knitting, or spinning, or yarn. We tend to be an addictive bunch.