Thursday, April 17, 2008

Preparing for Sock Wars III

Warriors Prepare for Battle! Man your TOFUtsies ! Look sharp there Addi.
During March Madness, I was searching high and low for Jayhawk yarn for Jaywalkers socks. Two Blue balls of ToFutsies ended up coming home with me on the theory that I could maybe dye part of it Crimson. But, then I got off on the Regia tangent. So the ToFutsies survives to go to Sock Wars III, maybe?
I mysteriously ended up with a Bag of 4 Tofutsies Collectors Edition (I think it's from Stitches?) recently. As I was cleaning up after my March Madness fall off the Buying Ban, it just seemed to appear out of the back of my car. Anyway, Is there any chance the red / pink in there is the 733 colorway? I can't remember now. In my memory, it looks a lot like the 733 Get your Feet Wet color on the SWTC website (on my monitor). Boy, that's a lot of ifs and buts.
Anyway, I've been swatching with circs (I Always do 2 at a time) in various sizes to see what gauge I get. Tofutsies is a very fine yarn! So far, I've used #2 and #1, getting to the #0 tonight. I really love how it feels.
As for allergies, I was worried about it when I first read about the "ingredients". By all accounts, I should be allergic to half the stuff in there. But, I'm willing to risk it. I'm doing the "knit a necklace" test starting tonight.
I'll knit a skinny mobius or something and wear it all weekend to see what happens. Maybe a headband? I would do an Ear warmer band if it was colder. It has occurred to me that a "good" use for swatch squares might be to tuck into the side of a bra? (at this point DD would be sighing "T M I Mom!" Too Much Information") That would really test the allergy tolerance! Anyway, the Tofutsies has not caused my hands to itch at all. A couple of other kinds of yarns have given me itchy hands, but after I washed the FO, it was great.
I used to be totally convinced that I was "allergic" to wool. Now, I spin and knit and everything. Wool, alpaca, angora bunny, you name it. I still can't wear the skirt that Auntie brought me from Scotland, or the outrageously expensive dress pants DH gifted me. Not even with heavy pantyhose. I've washed, and dry cleaned both, and I hasn't helped those particular articles. It really must be something that they use to treat the wool, or maybe the fabric after it's made. Once, I even got some hand dyed alpaca from a RenFest that was lovely, till I started knitting it. Something in it, maybe the dye?, caused me to cough, choke up, sneeze, tear up, the whole nine yards. ;-) But, another color that I bought from the same booth was just fine!
Anyway, Off To The Races: May the best knitter WIN!

No comments: